American dog breeders consider the golden retriever one of their most popular dogs.
These dogs are great family pets because of their sweet dispositions, while their intellect makes them excellent working dogs.
However, this article centers around the best dog foods for golden retrievers.
They originally bred this breed to retrieve fowl for hunters, but now it needs daily exercise. Exercises like walks or runs around the yard run at the beach or lake, or fetch.
Because they bred these dogs for work, they must have something to do, whether retrieving the newspaper or waking up family members.
Let us talk about the best dog foods for golden retrievers. Read on!
You must take into account your large dog’s age when selecting food for your golden retriever. The reason for this is that Golden Retrievers are a large breed of dog.
Because of this, you are choosing the right food for your puppy can be crucial, even if adult goldens benefit from eating higher-quality food brands.
Table of Contents
- 1. Taste of the Wild Grain Free Dog Food
- 2. Blue Buffalo
- 3. Nom Nom Fresh
- 4. Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula
- 5. Royal Canin
- 6. Iams Large Breed Food
- 7. Nutro
- 8. Diamond Naturals
- 9. Hill’s Science Diet
- 10. American Journey
1. Taste of the Wild Grain Free Dog Food
This dry dog food is a grain-free, all-natural dog food with real salmon as the first ingredient. It is also one of the top-rated products.
Besides fruits, vegetables, and superfoods, the food also contains a probiotic for optimal immune and gut health.
- It provides digestive health vitamins, minerals, and probiotics.
- No corn, wheat, or fillers.
- There are three ingredients in this dish, starting with salmon.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are found in salmon oil, which is “marine sourced.”
- There are no artificial flavors or colorings in this product.
2. Blue Buffalo
This puppy food by Blue Buffalo is a favorite of many other Golden Retriever owners. There’s a lot of good protein in this recipe because the first ingredient is deboned chicken.
This chicken meal has no fillers or by-products, just high-quality ingredients.
To ensure that your dog gets the right amount of calories without gaining weight, they have carefully selected and weighed all ingredients.
This formula was created with good overall health in mind, which is one of the main reasons it’s my personal favorite.
In addition to glucosamine and chondroitin, it also contains calcium, phosphorus, bones, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for a shinier coat and a softer skin surface.
- Features a veterinarian-approved mixture of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants called “LifeSource Bits.”
- High protein and fat content for maximum performance and lean muscle growth.
- Comparatively more expensive than other dry dog foods.
- Natural, grain-free.
3. Nom Nom Fresh
Nom Nom is an excellent choice for those who want to feed their dogs a science-based diet that’s as close to homemade as possible without all the fuss and time-consuming kitchen work.
However, a large portion of the protein in Nom Nom Chicken Cuisine comes from a fresh diced chicken.
It contains 37% protein, 26% fat, and 29% carbs for a fat-to-protein ratio of 71%.
- This dry food is grain-free.
- This dog food has a profile of all life stages.
- It is perfect for both adults and puppies.
4. Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula
A healthy, active Golden Retriever will thrive on Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula. This food contains 30% protein and 20% fat, and EPA and glucosamine for joint health for lean muscle.
Several customers have also noted that their dogs’ coats have become shinier after using this option.
Furthermore, it is available in chicken, salmon & rice, and turkey varieties of the Pro Plan Sport meal replacement.
- Made in the United States of America.
- Meat is the essential ingredient in this dish.
- Grain-free chicken, chicken, and salmon are just a few of the recipes available.
- This product is suitable for all ages, from puppies to seniors.
- EPA, Glucosamine, and Amino Acids are all examples of EPA.
5. Royal Canin
Royal Canin is one of the best dog foods for golden retrievers. Your Golden Retriever’s dietary needs are the focus of this Royal Canin product.
Recipe for heart-healthy golden retrievers. Plus, there’s a unique blend of ingredients that will keep their golden coat shining brightly.
However, Taurine and DHA are included to help your baby’s cognitive and visual growth.
Simply put, Royal Canin’s exclusive Golden Retriever formula is one of the rare products that will meet all of their nutritional needs while also maintaining a healthy weight.
Moreover, one of the most popular dog foods for golden retrievers is Royal Canin’s Golden Retriever formula.
- A must-have for shiny, healthy fur.
- Specially formulated food for Golden Retrievers.
- You can’t use it on puppies.
- Many dog owners have noted that this food has helped their dog’s gastrointestinal problems.
- Kibble bits are more significant than other products on the market, so they are more expensive.
- It enhances heart health with taurine, EPA, and DHA.
6. Iams Large Breed Food
The majority of the meat protein in Iams ProActive Health Large Breed comes from a chicken.
However, the recipe’s protein, fat, and carbohydrate content have been determined by dry matter label analysis. The fat to protein ratio is approximately 56 percent.
Furthermore, Iams has offered this classic, grain-inclusive, large breed design for many years. It’s a favorite among professional breeders in particular.
Dog owners also appreciate that it’s free of BHA and other high-risk chemical preservatives, which is a plus.
- It has a good maintenance profile.
- It contains grains like sorghum and corn.
- This dog food is best for adult golden retrievers.
Your retriever will love lamb and rice. In other words, Nutro Wholesome Essentials is the one to get if your dog is a picky eater.
Though this is a meat-centric recipe, high-quality rice varieties add a lot of benefits. You won’t have to worry about allergies or other problems because there are no fillers.
For the coat and skin of your goldie, you also get omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. So, it’s safe to say nothing compares to this formula in terms of nutritional value.
- It is grain-inclusive.
- This dog food has balanced nutrition.
- It is appropriate for your adult golden retriever.
8. Diamond Naturals
When it comes to nutritional value, Diamond Naturals is hard to beat.
Many owners will be pleased to see a long list of healthy ingredients, such as pasture-raised lamb, kale, coconut, dried kelp, papaya, and chia seeds, on the ingredient list.
In addition to being all-natural, this dry dog food is loaded with essential vitamins to keep your Golden Retriever dog active and healthy.
- The price is reasonable for the product’s quality.
- It includes kale, quinoa, chia seeds, pumpkin, and yucca.
- The first ingredient is pasture-raised lamb.
- This product does not contain any artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors.
- Zinc, copper, potassium, vitamin b1, vitamin a, vitamin b6, and many more.
- There is no corn, wheat, or filler in this recipe.
- Tailored for your large breed dog.
9. Hill’s Science Diet
Hill’s science diet is one of the best dog foods for golden retrievers.
In general, chicken first formulas are preferred for large breeds like Golden Retrievers, but you have a complete and balanced meal for your golden when combined with the suitable grains when combined with the right grains.
However, what you get with the Hill’s Science Diet large breed formula is precisely what you would expect.
There will be glucosamine and chondroitin given to your dog. Plenty of Omega-6 fatty acids are present.
Furthermore, a blend of antioxidants supports a healthy immune system, the most crucial factor.
- This dog food is grain-free.
- They produced this dog food to fuel the dog’s energy.
- It is appropriate for your large breed puppy and adult.
10. American Journey
The American Journey Dog Food is the last on our list of the best dog foods for golden retrievers. The majority of the protein in American Journey Large Breed Chicken comes from poultry.
However, the recipe contains 33 percent protein, 13 percent fat, and 45 percent estimated carbs. According to the dry matter label analysis, it has an approximate 40 percent ratio of fat to protein.
Furthermore, it also contains a prebiotic. In the large intestine, prebiotics can help support the growth of healthy bacteria for improved digestion. Lastly, this dog food has an exceptional value for money.
- This dog food is grain-free.
- Its profile is for all life stages.
- This dog food is appropriate for adults and puppies.
Every dog owner has to deal with the issue of feeding their pet at some point or another. Most challenging is that each dog is an individual with its preferences and health requirements.
Lastly, high-end and low-end dog food isn’t always good or bad for your pup.